Sunday, December 4, 2011

Some Quotes

Here are a few quotes that I love and find profound or inspiring. I'd like to see your favorite quotes as well. Share them in the comments section below!

"What is the value of any political freedom, but as a means to moral freedom?"
Henry David Thoreau, Life Without Principle

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least,
Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"

"I exist as I am, that is enough,
If no other in the world be aware I sit content,
And if each and all be aware, I sit content."
Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"

"It seems to me that everything in the light and air ought to be happy;
Whoever is not in his coffin and the dark grave, let him know he has enough."
Walt Whitman, "The Sleepers"

"I love tranquil solitude
And such society
As is quiet, wise, and good..."
Percy Bysshe Shelley, "Rarely Comest Thou"

"The highest happiness of man... is to have probed what is knowable and quietly to revere what is unknowable."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"If I may not write beautiful books, I may at least read beautiful books, and what joy can be greater?"
Oscar Wilde, De Profundis

"The supreme vice is shallowness."
Oscar Wilde, De Profundis

"Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact."
Henry James

"Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind."
Henry James

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them."
Ray Bradbury

"Art is the daughter of freedom."
Friedrich Schiller

"Live as though your every act were to become universal law."
Immanuel Kant

No comments:

Post a Comment