Friday, September 9, 2011

A Reboot

     Well, anyone who's visited my blog in the past (all three or four of you) will notice that all previous content has been removed. This is because I am rebooting the blog and returning to a focus on speculative fiction (meaning science fiction, fantasy, horror, etc.) I mostly write science fiction but have written a few stories in the other genres.

     In this blog I will discuss my writing, writing in general, great stories and books that I read as well as the business of publishing fiction (or difficulty that lies therein).


     To begin with, I first want to give a nod to a great online publication called Daily Science Fiction. You can read stories on the site or, even better, sign up to have a new story sent to your e-mail every day. This is absolutely free. I woke up today and read a story called "Requiem Duet, Concerto for Flute and Voodoo" by Eugie Foster. It is a long and strange title but the story is absolutely absorbing. Great characterization, a unique idea and plenty of suspense. The website publishes the stories about a week after they're sent out in the e-mail but I'll put up a link when it becomes available there. Also check out my alphabetical list of "Speculative Fiction Online" in the sidebar at right. These are all sites that provide stories that can be read for free. I'll add to this list when I have more time.

     In other news, I finally read 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke. I've been a fan of the movie for as long as I can remember and it's always been one of those "how have I still not read that" books. Now that I have I must say that it blew my hair back. For any fan of intellectual science fiction it is an absolute must.

     To close, I'll just mention a bit about my own work. I am looking to finish my first novel by the end of September. In short fiction, I currently have half a dozen stories in the completed-and-ready-for-submission stage so those are making the rounds and, hopefully, they'll all find nice homes. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment